Saturday, October 29, 2011

Flattering Trends Part 3: Chunky Knits

Sup? It's Caroline. I was gonna do a Halloween tutorial, but I gave up.  I don't have the right tools for filming my costume or makeup video, but maybe I'll ask for a video camera for Christmas.

Also, I don't think posting a Halloween tutorial just a couple of days before Halloween would help anybody.  But, I swear, my vampire costume was gonna be awesome.  And so was my Little Red Riding Hood.  And my Ancient Roman costume.  I'm sure you can imagine it.

Now onto more informative things.  Today I'm going to talk about chunky knits.  I know people who won't wear 'em, and I know people who wear them all the time.  I personally love chunky knits, and it's that time of year again.

There is a way to do chunky knits wrong for your body type, so I'm back with another "tutorial" on how to flatter your shape and still follow this fall/winter trend.  For reference, see part 1 and part 2.


{Rectangle Type 1}  Lucky you!  You can pull off almost any chunky look.  You look super cute in full sweaters or vintage sweatshirts/ponchos over skinny jeans, and you can work the horizontal stripes.  Pair with boots (and maybe some legwarmers peeking out from the top of your boots) and you've got a really trendy look.
Rectangle Type 1 - Chunky Knits



{Rectangle Type 2}  The best knits for your body type are open sweaters and chunky scarves.  Go with a bold-print scarf and a neutral sweater, or try a fun ankle bootie with rolled up jeans.  Also, stay warm with the trendy floppy-brimmed felt hat or a knitted beanie.

Rectangle Type 2 - Chunky Knits



{Apple}  Since you have a narrower waist and a broader top-half, minimize on top and accentuate on the bottom.  Choose sweaters with more volume towards the lower-half, and try a plain t-shirt tucked into a pencil skirt.  Wear some fun tights and boots, and accessorize with a cute hat.


Apple - Chunky Knits








{Pear}  Since you have a fuller shape lower down and you get narrow towards your shoulders, wear chunky sweaters and scarves that add volume to your upper half.  Pair with bootcut jeans and boots underneath.  Tucking skinny jeans into boots may work for you, but for most pear shapes it can over-accentuate your fuller hips.
Pear - Chunky knits





{Hourglass}  Play up your narrow waist with a belt or a sweater that nips in at the middle.  Pick some cute knee-high boots and tuck in some skinny jeans, or try a funky ankle bootie.





Hourglass - Chunky Knits





That's all for today!  And as I've said before, these don't always apply to everyone.  Your body may not fall directly under these categories, but this is just a basic guide for you to have in mind.  Figure out how to play up your best features and camouflage the ones you may not like as much, and you're golden.

Have fun shopping for the cold weather!

-Caroline

4 comments:

  1. love these outfit ideas!! the tips for different body types are really helpful too. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! =] I think I've decided to try out some of these outfits....yea! Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I can't wait to try these outfits out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed it! If you have any suggestions for more trends you'd like me to break down into body types, let me know!

    ReplyDelete